Data Maturity Gaps in Aerospace and Defense
Is your company on the leading edge of the data culture or a laggard? It’s not too late to catch up to other industries that have crushed the competition. If we look at major players in the tech space such as SalesForce, Google, and Amazon you will see organizations driven by vision, data and an attitude to ‘fail fast’. When we look at mature, risk adverse industries with procedural and requirements heavy processes, the ‘fail and fail fast’ mantra is nowhere to be found. That of course is understandable as passenger safety is paramount, but it is not an excuse to be inefficient and ineffective in delivering a quality product. One of the main things that we have heard over the last few years is a push to digitize information but there is much more to digitization than transferring a paper document into a PDF. The goal of having a thriving, mature data culture is to be predictive, efficient and drive critical decisions sooner than the competition. The key gaps we have seen include the following:
- Comprehensive Data Maturity Assessment not done
- Processes, systems and behaviors are not taken into account
- Waiting until the data is perfect before changing people
- Companies leave
out the full value stream (data only works if data capture, systems and capture
are aligned from suppliers, internal functions and customer)
- This data maturity journey typically occurs without key partners with the exception of OEM
- When a data journey is put together it must look at how indiduals roles and skills change as a result
- The need for a culural paradigm shift is underestimated
MRO and Tech Ops are Prime for Creating a Data Competitive Advantage
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul can greatly improve costs and turnaround times by creating a data driven culture that provides transparency for all key stakeholders. Data improvements focused internally are great, but suppliers and customers need to take part as well. Key stakeholders that provide an advantage include, but are not limted to, the following:
- Procurement - Cost reduction opportunities abound from predictive analytics and supply chain transparency
- Planning - Maximize your internal equipment and people resources by creating flow.
- Operations - Eliminate waste, shrink cycle times and improve first-pass quality
- Engineering – Reduce development times and provide a better transition to full rate production
- Sales & Program Management - Provide your customer with real-time status and create a partnership
- Customers/Airlines - Knowing you have their overhauls and repairs handled they are willing to shift more volume.
Don’t Wait – Accelerate!
If you are waiting for good data don’t wait any longer. Leverage the following steps to accelerate your data foundation:
- Conduct a High Level Data Assessment
- Create a vision map and align leadership
- Determine business improvement opportunities
- Outcomes should be measurable operational and financial improvements
- Quick wins should be identified
- Implement Plan-Do-Check-Act
- Ask for Help. Outside resources are one source but many times there are talented folks working in core functions that can be called about to support the journey! This isn’t an IT journey!
- Break down perceived barriers - don’t let system limitations stop you! There is always a way!
Implementation Engineers and its team of data scientists are adept at performing Data Maturity Assessments to assist you on your data maturity acceleration strategy. Visit our Aviation MRO industry page to learn more.